Friday, December 14, 2007

Best Music of 2007

I know most of us who contribute to this here blog kinda lean toward the "classic rock" genre, but some of us listen to new music sometimes. Here are my favorite releases from 2007 (these are only CDs that I personally bought or downloaded this year), in no particular order:
  • Wilco - Sky Blue Sky: This one is a masterpiece. I love Wilco's early stuff, but their newer stuff (Yankee Hotel Foxtrot as well) is turning out to be just as good. Jeff Tweedy has distinguished himself as a great songwriter and musician.
  • Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand: See my earlier review. Great album. I just listened to it again yesterday.
  • White Stripes - Icky Thump: I do not consider myself a White Stripes fan. In fact, when a band becomes the latest "fad" (as they did back in 2002 or so), it usually turns me off. I do not have any of their previous five LPs. However, when I heard "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do as You're Told)," I decided to give this album a try. Good stuff.
  • Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Easy Tiger: I have almost everything he's released. This one does not disappoint. Great songwriting, and The Cardinals are the best band he's ever recorded with. Ryan is notoriously hard to work with, so I expect him to fire his band shortly. But until then, try to catch them in concert. He puts on a great show.
  • Band of Horses - Cease to Begin: This was a new discovery for me. I can't remember where I heard about them, but they sound like a cross between My Morning Jacket and The Shins. "General Specific" is my favorite song on the album.
  • Steve Earle - Washington Square Serenade: Unlike his previous couple albums, this one's less political and more personal. He's recently married and he also recently relocated to NYC, which is reflected in some of his songs. Steve Earle is always solid.

I know, it's a short list, but I am but one man. Add your favorite 2007 releases in the comments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What year is this? Who the hell are all these people? What about the Boss?

Assman said...

I have heard good things about Springsteen's album, but I have not heard it yet. Welcome to the 21st century, my friend.