Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin - Occupation: Foole


I was shocked and saddened when I woke up this morning and read that George Carlin died yesterday. He was one of my all-time favorite comedians and, as far as I know, was one of the first comedians to be featured on HBO. My family had HBO back in my teen years of the early 80's when "Carlin on Campus" and "Carlin at Carnegie" were on. He had a wonderful way of looking at language, religion, and life in general that resonated with me personally. He's probably most famous for "The Seven Words You Can Never Say On TV." "Why don't you list them out," you say? Sure, why not. If George could get away with it in 1972, I should be able to get away with it on a seldom read blog: Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits. As a tribute to George, I suggest everyone go out and use at least one of the "Seven Words" today. Here's to you, George.


Leave your own favorite George Carlin memories in the comments if you wish.


ADDED: Since this is nominally a blog about sports sometimes, I feel like I would be remiss if I did not mention the sheer brilliance of Carlin's "Baseball vs. Football" bit. It's a classic.

No comments: