Monday, February 11, 2008

Review of My Musical Tastes

Well, the Grammy Awards were handed out last night, and I must admit I'm proud that my musical tastes were rewarded. I know, I know - the Grammys are irrelevant and I normally don't care who wins. However, this year, after we started this blog, I had more of an interest. I'm not talking about the "big" categories (song of the year, album of the year, etc.). In my "best music of 2007" post, I listed five releases. Three of those five won Grammys yesterday: Alison Krauss and Robert Plant, White Stripes, and Steve Earle. In addition, another CD I reviewed a week into 2008 won an award too - Levon Helm's "Dirt Farmer." So, of the six CDs released in 2007 that I reviewed, four of them won Grammys. That is a pretty good percentage. Obviously, what it signifies is that I have impeccable musical taste. It seems to me that if an artist wants a 2008 Grammy, he should come to me for a review next year. Things are already looking good for the Drive-By Truckers for the next year's Grammys. Any other bands wishing for me to give them a positive review can contact me thru this site. I can be bought.

One other thing to note about the Grammys (note, I watched a total of about 30 seconds of the awards show telecast last night) was that a jazz album won album of the year. Jazz pianist Herbie Hancock's "River: The Joni Letters" was the first jazz album since 1964 to win album of the year. He beat out noted crack-whore Amy Winehouse and noted attention-whore Kanye West, among others, for this award. Well done, Herbie. Not being much of a jazz fan, the enduring image of Herbie Hancock for me was his funky/weird/unique 1983 video for "Rockit," which featured robots moving in time to the music.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Grammys and everything they represent and support are terrible. Also, so is Michigan.

Assman said...

The whole state of Michigan is terrible, or the University of Michigan is terrible? Please clarify so I can come up with a suitably witty retort...