Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Ace In The Hole

Jesus, not another one.

Blind Golfer, 85 Gets Ace

If I'm not mistaken, this is at least two blind golfers who have gotten a hole-in-one in the last year. There was this one last year. Then, after searching a bit more for "blind hole in one" I found this one. So there are at least three blind golfers that have one more hole-in-one than I do (talk about "blind luck"). I have seen the odds for making a hole-in-one. The vary from 1-in-12,750 to 1-in-45,000. Here is what Golf Digest has to say:

  • Tour player making an ace: 3,000 to 1

  • Low-handicapper making an ace: 5,000 to 1

  • Average player making an ace: 12,000 to 1

Okay, I'm probably considered an average player. I have never scored a hole-in-one. If you assume 4 par three holes per round, the odds say that you should make a hole in one if you play 2667 rounds of golf. That's a lot of golf. If you play 50 rounds a year, that would take you fifty years. No wonder I don't have one.

Wait, what was my point again? Oh yeah, that all these blind SOBs are getting holes-in-one and I'm not. I don't like it one bit. I've got nothing against blind people. Heck, I might even be one myself eventually. But I would like to get a hole-in-one while I'm still able to enjoy it, not when I'm a blind 85 year old. I guess I should start playing more. Maybe the financial windfall from this highly lucrative blogging venture will allow me to quit my job and become a full-time blogger/hole-in-one-pursuer. However, at our current rate, this blog will earn me enough for a sleeve of Top Flite x-out balls and a box of naked lady tees.

I'm playing in a scramble this weekend, and I will let you guys know if I break my streak of consecutive holes without a hole-in-one. If I do, this is what I'll do.

4 comments:

Brakeman said...

Since you are a Houston boy I am sure you have heard of The Bandit! That guy only has one arm and he has 21 hole-in-ones! Dude! http://www.thebandit.net/ I think you are pressing too much. Relax, take a deep breath and visualize the shot in your mind. Let it come to you. At least your odds will increase this summer when you get 9 straight chances at the Three Tops course. It is all starting to happen for you...

Brandman said...

Don't forget to buy the orange balls and the hat that comes with a free bowl of soup!

Good luck!

Assman said...

It looks good on you though...

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should call up Kim Jong-Il. He shot multiple holes-in-one the first time he ever played and gets 4 or 5 every round. It is a real shame that not a single second of him playing golf has ever been caught on film. I mean, what are the chances of that? Let's just chalk that up to bad timing.

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/WTARC/2004/ea_nkorea_06_16.html

PS: give me a box of those naked lady tees...